If your spouse is not on the title of your home, you need to get that person added ASAP, otherwise — if you die — your spouse has no claim to the property.

Michigan was the last state to have the Dower Rights law, until Dower Right was abolished in April of 2017.

What does this mean to homeowners? If you die, your spouse had no claim to the property. In addition, spouses that hold property in their name alone will be free to transfer and mortgage the property without the signature of theirspouse. The only remaining exception is the Michigan Homestead law that requires the signatures of both spouses on a non-purchase money mortgage that will cover their homestead (principal residence).

To add your spouse to your property deed: Have your lawyer do a Michigan Quit Claim Deed for you and then record it with your County’s Register of Deeds. If you croak before you get it recorded, your property goes into probate, instead of to your spouse.

You don’t have to use an attorney to prepare a quit claim deed in Michigan. A Michigan quit claim deed form is very simple to complete on your own – you can do it yourself and save money. However, there is no substitute for good legal advice.

I found the free fillable e-form below. This site also seemed like a good resource.

For more information in Kent County, contact the Kent County Register of Deeds.

Michigan Quit Claim Deed Form